Sunday, August 05, 2007

Sheesh!



Does this ever happen to you? This has been a week of clay disasters. Everything I've touched has turned to sh*t! Admittedly, I'm experimenting this week...trying new transfer techniques and inros, playing around with inks for the first time...but you'de reckon that after about 30 hours there would be SOMEthing to show for it. But nope, nothing but failures. I have half a dozen pieces that are going into the dustbin...I don't think I've ever had so many distasters in one week! And since I normally show nothing but my best, how about a reality check here as I show you my failures. Here are two of them, the rest are already in the bin, flung with great aplomb! Lisa Pavelkas transfers all developed tons of bubbles after baking...how could that be when I was so careful not to trap air under them? My own experiments with liquid clay and Canon photo paper were much better but two of the inros cracked, I think it's because they were too thick because the other three I have half-made are thinner and didn't crack. Adding a sheet of translucent over the top of all my pieces seemed to dull everything...till I remembered reading a message on PCC about hitting it with a heat gun for a mo...and lo and behold, it all became clear in more ways than one!
So yes, I've learned a lot, what works and what doesn't... and hopefully the three remaining inros I have half completed will make it all worthwhile...but I'm rather taken back with the effort of it all. Maybe it's cos I have a cold and am feeling a bit despondent. Maybe it's cos after 30 hours work I have three half finished pieces to show for it and a very messy table (see pic). Maybe it's because I was hoping that this experience would encourage me to have a go at making handbags, something I've longed to do all these years. I mean, how hard can be? Bloody near impossible this week I tell ya! If anyone of you has any tips on making handbags, paleeeeease write me. I'm thinking small first off, a bit bigger than an inro. Oh to have Kathleen Dustin living just down the road! I could drop in and have a cuppa and walk away totally re-inspired! Instead, I just have to pick myself up and dust myself off...finish these three surviving inros before they mock me.....and keep at it. Sometimes it really is just about doing it and doing it till you get it right!

No comments: